It's been a few weeks since the last post. Pressure of work has kept me away!
Over the last couple of weeks or so I have started to get interested in Privateer Press' Warmachine/hordes game. I have bought a Trollblood army and this week I have started painting it. I started with the Mauler as a sample to get a feel for the colours and today I'll share with you some of the techniques I used in painting it.
First up then was assembly and cleaning. All fairly easy although there were quite a few mould lines to remove.
I then gave the model a black undercoat. I decided on black as the colours were all going to be quite strong.
Next was a base coat of blue. This was a mix of Vallejo model air blue, sea grey and a dash of Panzer aces light flesh tone. Highlights were added by adding more of the grey and flesh tone. The inside of the hands and the stomach area were given a lighter tone to add some variety to the colours.
Next up was the pastels. I ground up a little red and blue Windsor and Newton pastels in a pestle and mortar until I had a very fine dust. This was then applied with a dry brush into the recesses to add shading and a bit of colour. Excess can be easily removed with a clean dry cotton bud. Once I was happy with the result I gave the model a coat of gloss varnish to seal it in and prepare for the oil washes to come.
I then re undercoated the nails, belts, and metals in black and painted the inside of the mouth. This was a mix of Vermillion, black and purple.
The nails and teeth were painted with citadel Snakebite Leather and the bracers with vallejo cavalry brown. These teeth and nails were highlighted by adding ivory to the mix while the bracers were highlighted with panzer aces flesh tone. The metal was then stippled with several variations of brown and orange tones to look like rust.
The hair was painted with cavalry brown and highlighted with vermillion and then panzer ace flesh. Using the same tone for highlighting several areas of the model helps unify the colours.
The rocky growths on the skin were first carefully dry brushed to give them a slightly saturated chalky feel and then fine edge highlights were applied to make them pop a little. The base was then attacked with a wide range of browns and greens and then dry brushed with Vallejo Iraqi sand. The tufts were sprayed green and drybrushed in yellow ochre. I always paint the grass on models as left natural they give off different reflections of light and to me just feel unfinished.
Well that's the model about finished. Over the next few blogs I'll be charting the progress of the Trollblood army and covering a few of the oil wash techniques I've been using recently.
Don't forget to check out the Dice Bag Lady's new web store thedicebaglady.net for the best in hand made dice bags and as if that wasn't enough Annie now has a wonderful range of gaming extras and dice bag lady merchandise including some fabulous pin badges and bottle openers.
Thank you for reading and if you have any questions, requests, or comments you can leave a comment here or contact me on twitter @wrkbnchwarriors . For commission enquiries I'll have a price list up here in the next couple of day and again contact me with any questions.
See you all next time